Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
  • Locations: Machida, Japan
  • Program Terms: Academic Year, Calendar Year, Fall, Spring
  • Restrictions: UNC Charlotte applicants only
  • Budget Sheets: Calendar Year, Spring
  • This program is currently not accepting applications.
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Academic Year 2017-2018 02/01/2017
Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Fall 2017 02/01/2017
Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Spring 2018 09/01/2017
Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Calendar Year 2018 09/01/2017
Rolling Admission TBA TBA

** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of approval into this program and be able to complete pre-departure materials prior to the term's application deadline.

Indicates that deadline has passed
Fact Sheet:
Program Type: Exchange Programs, UNC Charlotte Exchange Minimum GPA: 2.75
Eligibility: 5th Year, Junior, Senior, Sophomore Non-UNC Charlotte Students May Apply?: No
Areas of Study: Japanese, Japanese Studies Language of Instruction: English, Japanese
Prior Language Study Required: 3 semesters or more Term: Academic Year, Calendar Year, Fall, Spring
Exchange option: Undergraduate exchanges
Program Description:

Overview Tab Content

Academic Reputation
J.F. Oberlin University is a private institution located in the suburb of Machida, just outside of Tokyo, Japan. Oberlin prides themselves on providing students with a well rounded education that not only focuses on language and academic experience, but volunteering as well. During the 2012-2013 academic year, Oberlin received accreditation and high praise for its academic curriculum, campus diversity and career services and support for students. Oberlin is highly active with international exchange and is sure to provide a great place to study abroad. 

Facts & Figures
Founded in 1921
8500 Students
Private University

City: Machida
Country: Japan
Population: 426,000MachidaMap
Oberlin University is a private co-educational institution with 8,500 undergraduates, located in the Tokyo suburb of Machida. The name Oberlin ("beautiful cherry forest") is derived from the cherry trees that bloom on campus in early spring. However, it also indicates—through a combination of Chinese characters—Oberlin's historical link with Oberlin College in Ohio, U.S.A., the alma mater of Oberlin's founder and first president, Yasuzo Shimizu. Quite apart from formal and informal activities at Oberlin, Reconnaissance Japan participants will also find plenty to do off campus. Machida City, the Tokyo suburb where Oberlin is located, has one of Japan’s highest economic growth rates and this is reflected in its cheerful hustle and bustle. In Machida are up-scale department stores, high-volume discount shops, and an eight-story "do-it-yourself" store. Nearby are small shops selling tea, farming instruments, or kimonos, quiet coffee shops for meeting friends, and a pizza parlor that features all-you-can-eat lunch hours. Machida is a young city and its economy is geared towards young people.
Machida is also convenient in terms of location. Well-served by trains, it provides easy access to Tokyo  and other cities as well as to nearby mountains and beaches. For those who want to travel to Kyoto and beyond, the Yokohama line also offers access to Japan’s famed "bullet train" (Shinkansen) from Shin-Yokohama station.


1. What is student life like? You can find out more about cultural activities, things to do, and other outings here.
2. Where can I find more information about studying at Oberlin? To find out more about Oberlin in general, make sure to check out Oberlin's website.

Application Process
UNC Charlotte students will first need to complete an Office of Education Abroad (OEA) application in order to receive approval to study abroad. To receive access to an application, students should follow the required steps listed on OEA's website, which outline the application process under the "Fall, Spring & Year-long Exchange and Affiliate Programs" heading.

Application requirements may include (and are subject to change):
• Personal statement in English
• Personal statement in host country language (only applicable for students taking intermediate/advance language courses abroad)
• UNC Charlotte transcript 
• 2 academic letters of recommendation
• 1 language evaluation (only applicable for students taking intermediate/advance language courses abroad)
• Disciplinary record clearance
• $135 application fee and deposit

Not all requirements may be listed above. Once students receive access to the application, more instructions can be found to assist the student throughout the process. After receiving approval to study abroad from OEA, students will be required to apply directly to the host university. OEA will provide instructions for how to complete this supplemental application after approval. Once the supplemental application is reviewed by the host university, students will be notified of their formal acceptance.

Academics Tab Content

This exchange program is open to currently enrolled UNC Charlotte sophomores, juniors and seniors, with a minimum GPA of 2.75. All students who participate in a study abroad program are required to be in good academic and disciplinary standing upon applying and prior to departure.

You can find a full list of courses offered using the Oberlin Courses search.

Japanese Language Program
Students will be placed in one of six different levels in the core Japanese program depending n the result of the placement test.
Besides the core courses, students can also choose from a variety of Japanese elective courses. There are also courses taught in English.

UNC Charlotte Course Equivalencies & Credit
OEA is not responsible for determining UNC Charlotte course equivalencies. Students will work with the corresponding UNC Charlotte academic departments in order to understand what UNC Charlotte credit they will receive for the courses they take abroad prior to departure. The Department Chair of the academic department will determine this (not the student's Academic Advisor). More instructions can be found in the student's study abroad application and will be communicated by OEA once they begin the study abroad process. It's important that students have as many host courses as possible approved by their academic department(s) prior to going abroad in order to have flexibility when registering for courses at the host university. Courses abroad are not guaranteed (i.e. not all courses abroad  may be open to international students, some courses may only be offered certain semesters, courses may be full, etc.). 

All courses and earned grades from abroad will be reported on the student's UNC Charlotte transcript when they return. Once the official host university transcript is received by OEA, all grades from abroad will be translated into A-F letter grades. This process can take anywhere from 1- 6 months after the end of the student's program. Students cannot earn pass/fail credit abroad (there are very few exceptions to this). Grades from abroad will be factored into the student's UNC Charlotte cumulative GPA.

Schedule Tab Content

Please see the following information regarding the typical month range that students can expect to be abroad with this program. Please note that this is a general time frame and could differ per student, per program.

Fall: September to January
Spring: April to August

*Students may be able to attend for Fall only or for the Calendar Year (Spring and Fall) if they have a perfect class attendance during the fall semester and by submitting an "early leave" application. 

Housing Tab Content

Housing Options
1. Homestay option - Students can choose to live with a traditional Japanese family while studying at Oberlin. NOTE: Homestay assignments can include commute times of up to an hour and a half from the city center/university. Additionally, students will have a curfew and interaction with the homestay family is expected. It is important that students understand the homestay expectations before committing to applying for a homestay assignment.
2. Student residence hall - For students who do not feel comfortable or confident that they can adhere to the expectationsof a homestay placement, it is recommended that they apply for placement at the Fuchinobe International House.
3. Private Accommodations - Students who do not wish to participate in a homestay nor stay in the student receidence hall will then be responsible for securing their own accommodations. If a student opts to secure their own housing, Oberlin nor OEA can assist in the search or facilitation of housing options.

Please refer to Oberlin's accommodation website for more information regarding housing.

Housing Application Process

If housing is available on or off campus abroad and if the housing application process is facilitated by the host university, the student will be contacted directly by the host university with further instructions. This will occur after the student has been approved to go abroad by OEA and likely after they have been accepted by the host university. Housing is not arranged for the student by OEA nor UNC Charlotte. All students will have to apply for on or off campus housing through the host university, if applicable and/or available, or will need to secure their own private accommodations (if allowed). Housing is not paid to OEA nor UNC Charlotte. Housing will be paid to the applicable entity (host university, landlord, apartment complex, etc.).

Important Reminder
Students should consider their housing arrangements before and after they study abroad. For example, if a student currently lives off-campus and have signed a lease for a year but will be going abroad during that year, they should be prepared to arrange someone to take over their lease or understand that their lease likely cannot be broken without a fee if they go abroad during that time. Similarly, while students are abroad and before they come back, it's important to determine where they will be living when they return from studying abroad.

Finances Tab Content

Tuition & Fees
Student Accounts at UNC Charlotte will bill students for full-time tuition & fees according to their in-state or out-of-state residency rate prior to the start of the semester they will be abroad (according to UNC Charlotte's academic calendar). Students are expected to be the equivalent of full-time at UNC Charlotte while abroad. This means students should be taking the equivalent of 12 UNC Charlotte credit hours for undergraduates or 9 UNC Charlotte credit hours for graduate students. Students are not also paying tuition and fees to the host university while abroad.

The following are typical expenses incurred by students studying abroad. For more information regarding Cost Estimate Sheets, please contact an Education Abroad Advisor:
- Roundtrip airfare 
- International Health Insurance 
- Personal expenses (additional meals, traveling, cultural activities, etc.)
- Application fee
- Study abroad fee
- Passport 
- Visa (if applicable)

Financial Aid
Students are eligible to use financial aid towards their education abroad expenses. Make an appointment with your financial aid advisor to ask any financial aid-related questions. Please see our financial aid page for more information.

Students are encouraged to apply for scholarships. Please see our scholarship website for more information.

Travel Tab Content

All students must have a valid passport before they leave for their program. You can apply for a passport at your local post office or at Union Station located in UNC Charlotte's Student Union.

OEA is not qualified nor legally able to disseminate visa advice or assist with visa requirements. However, below is basic information regarding visas for this country if you are a U.S. citizen. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain a visa before departure if necessary. Please visit the embassy's website for more information.

You do not need a visa to enter the country.
You do need a residence permit if you are in the country for more than 90 days.
- A residence permit is similar to a visa.
- Students should submit their application two months prior to departure. This must be done in person at the nearest consulate.

U.S. Department of State
If you are a U.S. citizen, please see the U.S. Department of State's website for more information regarding visas. Once on the website, scroll to the bottom and choose "U.S. Passports & International Travel." At the top, choose the "Country Information" tab and type the country you are going to. Scroll down to "Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements" and read thoroughly. Note: will most likely take you to the consulate or embassy's actual website.

Students are responsible for purchasing their own airfare. Students should not purchase airfare until they have been both approved by the Office of Education Abroad and have been accepted by the host university. The official start date of the program (to include any mandatory on-site orientation or events) and end date of the program (to include the last day of exams and/or any other mandatory events) will be communicated to the student by the host university once accepted.

Contact Tab Content

Office of Education Abroad
College of Health & Human Services (CHHS) 256
(704) 687-7747 | fax (704) 687-1661


This program is currently not accepting applications.