Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
  • Locations: London, United Kingdom
  • Program Terms: Academic Year, Fall, Spring
  • Restrictions: UNC Charlotte applicants only
  • Budget Sheets: Spring
  • This program is currently not accepting applications.
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Academic Year 2017-2018 02/01/2017
Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Fall 2017 02/01/2017
Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Spring 2018 09/01/2017
Rolling Admission TBA TBA

** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of approval into this program and be able to complete pre-departure materials prior to the term's application deadline.

Indicates that deadline has passed
Fact Sheet:
Program Type: Exchange Programs, UNC Charlotte Exchange Minimum GPA: 2.75
Eligibility: 5th Year, Graduate, Junior, Senior, Sophomore Non-UNC Charlotte Students May Apply?: No
Areas of Study: Accounting, Accounting - Business, Architecture, Art Design, Art History, Biology, Business, Business - Marketing, Business Information Management, Business Management, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Dance, Economics, English, Environmental Science, Exercise Science, Flim, Geography, Geology, History, Human Resources Management, Information Systems, International Business, International Studies, Journalism, Management, Marketing, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Media Studies, Music, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Sports Sciences, Theatre and Drama Language of Instruction: English
Term: Academic Year, Fall, Spring Exchange option: Graduate exchanges, Undergraduate exchanges
Program Description:

Overview Tab Content

Academic Reputation
The location of Kingston University in the suburbs of London and the wide range of courses offered make it an ideal place to spend a year or semester as a visiting student. Kingston upon Thames, an old Saxon capital, is a mixture of the old and the new with a daily open-air farmers’ market as well as modern department stores and supermarkets.  Lunching at Thames-side pubs, browsing in old bookstores, catching the latest theatrical performance at the West End, and jogging alongside the royal deer in Richmond Park are but a few of the "extra-curricular" advantages of studying at Kingston University. In addition to the nearness of London, Kingston upon Thames is located centrally to Kew Gardens, Wimbledon, Windsor, Hampton Court, Twickenham, and Epsom—each being unique in what they may offer you as a student.
London Eye

Facts & Figures
Founded in 1899 and gained University status in 1992
23,000 Students
Public University

City: Kingston upon Thames
Country: United Kingdom
Population: 43,000
Located in Southwest London, this is where the famous sculpture of the red telephone boxes that have been tipped over resembling dominos is located. This is considered one of the happiest and safest place in London. Kingston is 25 minutes away by train to the heart of London. It is also known for their beautiful riverside setting, with large green spaces such as Bushy Park and Richmond Park. 


1. Will there be an orientation when I arrive? Yes! You can find out more information about orientation on Kingston's website.
2. How can I become more involved with the university and the culture? You could join sports clubs, or cultural, religious and interest societies! Check out the student life section on Kingston's website for more information.
3. Where can I find out more information? Kingston has an extensive list of frequently asked questions.
4. Where can I learn more about Kingston University in general? Make sure to check out Kingston's website for further information.

Application Process
UNC Charlotte students will first need to complete an Office of Education Abroad (OEA) application in order to receive approval to study abroad. To receive access to an application, students should follow the required steps listed on OEA's website, which outline the application process under the "Fall, Spring & Year-long Exchange and Affiliate Programs" heading.

Application requirements may include (and are subject to change):
• Personal statement in English
• Personal statement in host country language (only applicable for students taking intermediate/advance language courses abroad)
• UNC Charlotte transcript 
• 2 academic letters of recommendation
• 1 language evaluation (only applicable for students taking intermediate/advance language courses abroad)
• Disciplinary record clearance
• $135 application fee and deposit

Not all requirements may be listed above. Once students receive access to the application, more instructions can be found to assist the student throughout the process. After receiving approval to study abroad from OEA, students will be required to apply directly to the host university. OEA will provide instructions for how to complete this supplemental application after approval. Once the supplemental application is reviewed by the host university, students will be notified of their formal acceptance.

Academics Tab Content

This exchange program is open to currently enrolled UNC Charlotte sophomores, juniors, or seniors, with a minimum GPA of 2.5. All students who participate in a study abroad program are required to be in good academic and disciplinary standing upon applying and prior to departure.

You can find a full list of courses offered using the Kingston's Academic Programme search.

British Life and Culture Module
All students are eligible to take the British Life and Culture course.
Over 12 weeks, this module covers different topics, such as the monarchy, history, politics and government, the class system and the media. Lectures are complemented by excursions to places such as Oxford, Parliament, Stonehenge and Bath.
Please note that there is an additional fee of £90 required, which covers the cost of transportation and entry fees.

You can find out more information by reading the syllabus (scroll down to the Britain heading).

Key: Modules = Classes, Subject Areas = Majors

UNC Charlotte Course Equivalencies & Credit
OEA is not responsible for determining UNC Charlotte course equivalencies. Students will work with the corresponding UNC Charlotte academic departments in order to understand what UNC Charlotte credit they will receive for the courses they take abroad prior to departure. The Department Chair of the academic department will determine this (not the student's Academic Advisor). More instructions can be found in the student's study abroad application and will be communicated by OEA once they begin the study abroad process. It's important that students have as many host courses as possible approved by their academic department(s) prior to going abroad in order to have flexibility when registering for courses at the host university. Courses abroad are not guaranteed (i.e. not all courses abroad  may be open to international students, some courses may only be offered certain semesters, courses may be full, etc.). 

All courses and earned grades from abroad will be reported on the student's UNC Charlotte transcript when they return. Once the official host university transcript is received by OEA, all grades from abroad will be translated into A-F letter grades. This process can take anywhere from 1- 6 months after the end of the student's program. Students cannot earn pass/fail credit abroad (there are very few exceptions to this). Grades from abroad will be factored into the student's UNC Charlotte cumulative GPA.

Schedule Tab Content

Please see the following information regarding the typical month range that students can expect to be abroad with this program. Please note that this is a general time frame and could differ per student, per program.

Fall: September to December
Spring: January to June

Please see Kingston University's Academic Calendar for more specific dates.

Housing Tab Content

Housing Options

If you are only studying at Kingston for 1 semester, housing is NOT guaranteed and you are unable to apply for residence halls.

Students who are only staying a single semester can apply to live in lodgings. Lodgings consist of a single room in a private house under a local landlord. Lodgings include a furnished bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, and cooking utensils. Students are reminded that they will be living separately from the landlord. Students will be forwarded the application for lodging once they have been accepted.

Housing facilities on Kingston’s campus typically consist of a single room in a flat with other students. All halls are fully equipped with kitchenettes, bathrooms, laundry services and internet access. Students who are interested in living in on-campus housing should apply as soon as possible and need to be studying full time for at least one full year.

Students also have the option of living independently in the surrounding area. Students who live independently will be able to choose their own roommates, find properties to suit their budget, pay monthly and choose facilities in anything from studio to bedroom apartments, to houses and flats. Students can learn more about local vacancies via the Daily Vacancy List and the Student-to-Student Notice board provided by Kingston University. Access to these services is available once a student applies for accommodations at Kingston.

You can find out more by reading the Accommodation section of Kingston's website.

There is no meal plan offered at Kingston University.

Housing Application Process
If housing is available on or off campus abroad and if the housing application process is facilitated by the host university, the student will be contacted directly by the host university with further instructions. This will occur after the student has been approved to go abroad by OEA and likely after they have been accepted by the host university. Housing is not arranged for the student by OEA nor UNC Charlotte. All students will have to apply for on or off campus housing through the host university, if applicable and/or available, or will need to secure their own private accommodations (if allowed). Housing is not paid to OEA nor UNC Charlotte. Housing will be paid to the applicable entity (host university, landlord, apartment complex, etc.).

Important Reminder
Students should consider their housing arrangements before and after they study abroad. For example, if a student currently lives off-campus and have signed a lease for a year but will be going abroad during that year, they should be prepared to arrange someone to take over their lease or understand that their lease likely cannot be broken without a fee if they go abroad during that time. Similarly, while students are abroad and before they come back, it's important to determine where they will be living when they return from studying abroad.

Finances Tab Content

Tuition & Fees
Student Accounts at UNC Charlotte will bill students for full-time tuition & fees according to their in-state or out-of-state residency rate prior to the start of the semester they will be abroad (according to UNC Charlotte's academic calendar). Students are expected to be the equivalent of full-time at UNC Charlotte while abroad. This means students should be taking the equivalent of 12 UNC Charlotte credit hours for undergraduates or 9 UNC Charlotte credit hours for graduate students. Students are not also paying tuition and fees to the host university while abroad.

The following are typical expenses incurred by students studying abroad. For more information regarding Cost Estimate Sheets, please contact an Education Abroad Advisor:
- Roundtrip airfare 
- International Health Insurance 
- Personal expenses (additional meals, traveling, cultural activities, etc.)
- Application fee
- Study abroad fee
- Passport 
- Visa (if applicable)

Financial Aid
Students are eligible to use financial aid towards their education abroad expenses. Make an appointment with your financial aid advisor to ask any financial aid-related questions. Please see our financial aid page for more information.

Students are encouraged to apply for scholarships. Please see our scholarship website for more information.

Travel Tab Content

All students must have a valid passport before they leave for their program. You can apply for a passport at your local post office or at Union Station located in UNC Charlotte's Student Union.

OEA is not qualified nor legally able to disseminate visa advice or assist with visa requirements. However, below is basic information regarding visas for this country if you are a U.S. citizen. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain a visa before departure if necessary. Please visit the embassy's website for more information.

You do not need a visa to enter the country.
You do need a residence permit if you are in the country for more than 90 days.
- A residence permit is similar to a visa.
- Students should submit their application two months prior to departure. This must be done in person at the nearest consulate.

U.S. Department of State
If you are a U.S. citizen, please see the U.S. Department of State's website for more information regarding visas. Once on the website, scroll to the bottom and choose "U.S. Passports & International Travel." At the top, choose the "Country Information" tab and type the country you are going to. Scroll down to "Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements" and read thoroughly. Note: will most likely take you to the consulate or embassy's actual website.

Students are responsible for purchasing their own airfare. Students should not purchase airfare until they have been both approved by the Office of Education Abroad and have been accepted by the host university. The official start date of the program (to include any mandatory on-site orientation or events) and end date of the program (to include the last day of exams and/or any other mandatory events) will be communicated to the student by the host university once accepted.

Contact Tab Content

Office of Education Abroad
College of Health & Human Services (CHHS) 256
(704) 687-7747 | fax (704) 687-1661

This program is currently not accepting applications.