Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
  • Locations: Melbourne, Australia
  • Program Terms: Academic Year, Fall, Spring
  • Restrictions: UNC Charlotte applicants only
  • Budget Sheets: Spring
  • This program is currently not accepting applications.
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Academic Year 2017-2018 02/01/2017
Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Fall 2017 02/01/2017
Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Spring 2018 09/01/2017
Rolling Admission TBA TBA

** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of approval into this program and be able to complete pre-departure materials prior to the term's application deadline.

Indicates that deadline has passed
Fact Sheet:
Program Type: Exchange Programs, UNC Charlotte Exchange Minimum GPA: 2.5
Eligibility: 5th Year, Graduate, Junior, Senior, Sophomore Non-UNC Charlotte Students May Apply?: No
Areas of Study: Accounting, Accounting - Business, Anthropology, Art, Biochemistry, Biology, Business - Marketing, Business Management, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Communication Studies, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Economics, Education, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Elementary Education, Engineering, Finance, Game Design and Development, Health Administration, History, Human Resources Management, Information Systems, Information Technology, International Business, International Public Relations, International Studies, Japanese, Japanese Studies, Journalism, Latin American Studies, Linguistics, Management, Marketing, Media Studies, Middle Grades Education, Outdoor Adventure Leadership, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Public Health, Social Work, Sociology, Special Education, Special Education - General Curriculum, Teacher Education, Urban Design Language of Instruction: English
Term: Academic Year, Fall, Spring Exchange option: Graduate exchanges, Undergraduate exchanges
Program Description:

Overview Tab Content

Academic Reputation
Established in 1964, La Trobe University is the largest campus in all of Australia. In 2015, it was listed as one of the top 100 universities on Times Higher Education World University Rankings. It is known for its strengths in disciplines of the arts and humanities. It has been ranked in the top 20 on Times Higher Education World University Rankings for teaching and research. Also, the university is home to two large galleries, with a collection of paintings valued at over 17 million dollars. With all of this to offer, in a beautiful location, La Trobe could be just the place for you!

Facts and Figures
Founded in 1964
35,000 Students
3,200 Staff Members

City: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Population: 4,500,000
Melbourne is a lively, bustling city that is the second most populated city in Australia and is known as the cultural capital. It is also one of the fastest growing cities in Australia. La Trobe University's largest campus - Melbourne (Bundoora) is located 14km from the Central Business District of Melbourne. Melbourne is often referred to as Australia's cultural and sport capital and was voted the world's most livable city in 2012 and 2013, based on its cultural attributes, climate, cost of living, and social conditions such as crime rates and healthcare. 

1. Where can I find out more information about studying at La Trobe University? To find out more about La Trobe University in general, check out their website. You can also learn more by reading through La Trobe's exchange brochure.
2. Will there be airport pick-up available? Yes! See La Trobe's website for more information about airport reception.
3. Will there be an orientation when I arrive? Yes! See La Trobe's website for more information about orientation.
4. What is life like in Australia? Find out more information regarding living costs, safety, shopping, culture, transportation, and more here.
5. How can I be active on campus? Joining a club is a great way to be active on campus! Check out more information on La Trobe's website about clubs and societies.

Application Process
UNC Charlotte students will first need to complete an Office of Education Abroad (OEA) application in order to receive approval to study abroad. To receive access to an application, students should follow the required steps listed on OEA's website, which outline the application process under the "Fall, Spring & Year-long Exchange and Affiliate Programs" heading.

Application requirements may include (and are subject to change):
• Personal statement in English
• Personal statement in host country language (only applicable for students taking intermediate/advance language courses abroad)
• UNC Charlotte transcript 
• 2 academic letters of recommendation
• 1 language evaluation (only applicable for students taking intermediate/advance language courses abroad)
• Disciplinary record clearance
• $135 application fee and deposit

Not all requirements may be listed above. Once students receive access to the application, more instructions can be found to assist the student throughout the process. After receiving approval to study abroad from OEA, students will be required to apply directly to the host university. OEA will provide instructions for how to complete this supplemental application after approval. Once the supplemental application is reviewed by the host university, students will be notified of their formal acceptance.

Academics Tab Content

This exchange program is open to currently enrolled UNC Charlotte sophomores, juniors and seniors. All students who participate in a study abroad program are required to be in good academic and disciplinary standing upon applying and prior to departure.

Exchange students are able to choose subjects from all the major areas of study the University offers. For a full list of courses offered, please see La Trobe's list of courses.

Searching for subjects
1. The Subject Database You can search by using an exact subject code or typing in a key word (i.e. ecology). You will find individual subjects and specific information about the subject content, textbook requirements and assessment tasks. Please note: You must ensure that the subject selections have a ‘Y’ (yes) next to ‘Available to Study Abroad students’. The search results can also be filtered by semester and campus location. Subject codes that contain either a ‘4’ or ‘5’ are for postgraduate students. La Trobe University semesters are from March to June – Semester 1, and from July to November – Semester 2
2. The ‘Find a course’ website – if you are struggling to identify subject titles this website might be of help. You will find information on full degrees with a breakdown of the core subjects required for the degree. This way you can locate subjects that are part of a similar degree to your home degree.
3. The Handbook may also assist you with subject offerings

UNC Charlotte Course Equivalencies & Credit
OEA is not responsible for determining UNC Charlotte course equivalencies. Students will work with the corresponding UNC Charlotte academic departments in order to understand what UNC Charlotte credit they will receive for the courses they take abroad prior to departure. The Department Chair of the academic department will determine this (not the student's Academic Advisor). More instructions can be found in the student's study abroad application and will be communicated by OEA once they begin the study abroad process. It's important that students have as many host courses as possible approved by their academic department(s) prior to going abroad in order to have flexibility when registering for courses at the host university. Courses abroad are not guaranteed (i.e. not all courses abroad  may be open to international students, some courses may only be offered certain semesters, courses may be full, etc.). 

All courses and earned grades from abroad will be reported on the student's UNC Charlotte transcript when they return. Once the official host university transcript is received by OEA, all grades from abroad will be translated into A-F letter grades. This process can take anywhere from 1- 6 months after the end of the student's program. Students cannot earn pass/fail credit abroad (there are very few exceptions to this). Grades from abroad will be factored into the student's UNC Charlotte cumulative GPA.

Schedule Tab Content

Please see the following information regarding the typical month range that students can expect to be abroad with this program. Please note that this is a general time frame and could differ per student, per program.

Fall: July to November
Spring: February to June


Housing Tab Content

Housing Options
On-campus accommodation
Off-campus accommodation
For a full list of housing options, check out La Trobe's accommodation website for more information.You can also learn more about the cost of living in these accommodations.

Housing Application Process
If housing is available on or off campus abroad and if the housing application process is facilitated by the host university, the student will be contacted directly by the host university with further instructions. This will occur after the student has been approved to go abroad by OEA and likely after they have been accepted by the host university. Housing is not arranged for the student by OEA nor UNC Charlotte. All students will have to apply for on or off campus housing through the host university, if applicable and/or available, or will need to secure their own private accommodations (if allowed). Housing is not paid to OEA nor UNC Charlotte. Housing will be paid to the applicable entity (host university, landlord, apartment complex, etc.).

Important Reminder
Students should consider their housing arrangements before and after they study abroad. For example, if a student currently lives off-campus and have signed a lease for a year but will be going abroad during that year, they should be prepared to arrange someone to take over their lease or understand that their lease likely cannot be broken without a fee if they go abroad during that time. Similarly, while students are abroad and before they come back, it's important to determine where they will be living when they return from studying abroad.

Finances Tab Content

Tuition & Fees
Student Accounts at UNC Charlotte will bill students for full-time tuition & fees according to their in-state or out-of-state residency rate prior to the start of the semester they will be abroad (according to UNC Charlotte's academic calendar). Students are expected to be the equivalent of full-time at UNC Charlotte while abroad. This means students should be taking the equivalent of 12 UNC Charlotte credit hours for undergraduates or 9 UNC Charlotte credit hours for graduate students. Students are not also paying tuition and fees to the host university while abroad.

The following are typical expenses incurred by students studying abroad through an exchange program in addition to tuition. For more information regarding Cost Estimate Sheets, please contact an Education Abroad Advisor:
- Roundtrip airfare 
- International Health Insurance 
- Personal expenses (additional meals, traveling, cultural activities, etc.)
- Application fee
- Study abroad fee
- Passport 
- Visa (if applicable)

Financial Aid
Students are eligible to use financial aid towards their education abroad expenses. Make an appointment with your financial aid advisor to ask any financial aid-related questions. Please see our financial aid page for more information.

Students are encouraged to apply for scholarships. Please see our scholarship website for more information. Some additional scholarship opportunities may be found under the "External Scholarship" heading on La Trobe's website.

Travel Tab Content

All students must have a valid passport before they leave for their program. You can apply for a passport at your local post office or at Union Station located in UNC Charlotte's Student Union

OEA is not qualified nor legally able to disseminate visa advice or assist with visa requirements. However, below is basic information regarding visas for this country if you are a U.S. citizen. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain a visa before departure if necessary. Please visit the embassy's website for more information.

You do need a visa if:
- You are in the country more than 90 days
- You are studying in the country
- You should submit your visa application online to the Australian governement's website at least 12 weeks before the start date of the program. Students are unable to apply for a visa until they have received their electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) from the university. eCOEs will be issued to the student upon acceptance by the host university.

U.S. Department of State
If you are a U.S. citizen, please see the U.S. Department of State's website for more information regarding visas. Once on the website, scroll to the bottom and choose “U.S. Passports & International Travel”. At the top, choose the “Country Information” tab and type in the country you are going to. Scroll down to “Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements” and read thoroughly. Note: will most likely take you to the consulate or embassy’s actual website

Students are responsible for purchasing their own airfare. Students should not purchase airfare until they have been both approved by the Office of Education Abroad and have been accepted by the host university. The official start date of the program (to include any mandatory on-site orientation or events) and end date of the program (to include the last day of exams and/or any other mandatory events) will be communicated to the student by the host university once accepted.

Contact Tab Content

Office of Education Abroad
College of Health & Human Services (CHHS) 256
(704) 687-7747 | fax (704) 687-1661

This program is currently not accepting applications.